Wednesday, December 5, 2018

The Dancing Avocado


Okay I first need to start with a confession that is quite personal.  Life has handed me a very difficult season.  One that has brought up a great deal of pain from the past and even pain in the present and challenged my ability to find joy like normal.  Tears have been flowing way to freely and sadness was becoming my new normal.  I cannot share all the details, as ironically the stories aren’t mine to tell, but they have had a direct and negative impact on my life in more ways than one.  To get back to myself, to find my joy again and to show up for my family, I am currently in therapy.  There I said it.  I am in therapy.  Band add is off.  Now to the rest of the story.

I knew given the week I just had this therapy session would be hard.  Hard was an understatement.  It was brutal, and I was wrecked with emotions.  One of the coping tools my therapist provided was something called the circle of control.  Essentially what is on the inside circle are the things I have complete control over and what is on the outside of the circle, I have none.  When I looked at the drawing of the circle, I made a joke that it looked like a perfectly shaped avocado.  My therapist laughed and agreed.  She encouraged me to look and stay focused on my avocado to get me through the tough days ahead as I continued to process this session.  My therapist is a Christian and reminded me, besides the avocado, that God is always there.  He will never leave me or forsake me (Hebrews 13:5-6).  I finished the session, splashed water on face and threw myself together to be present to pick up my son, Lewis, from preschool.

Lewis and I got home and went about our normal family routine even though I was struggling.  Thankfully being busy with Lewis was a great distraction to keep the tears from flowing.  As the night drew closer, the sadness and anxiety were working overtime to creep back in.  Lewis and I started our normal bedtime routine – Dada does the bath, I read three books with him and then we take funny selfies together on Snapchat before saying our prayers.  The Snapchat selfies is a random thing Lewis loved after doing it with my niece.  And it just kind of snuck into our bedtime routine.  This night I was attempting to hurry through the fun of Snapchat because I was struggling to keep my emotions intact.  Imagine my surprise when Lewis and I scrolled to the next character and it was an avocado.  And not just an avocado but an avocado dancing to the happiest music.  Lewis and I have been playing on Snapchat for almost a year now and never once had the dancing avocado appeared.  My eyes filled up with happy tears and I laughed out loud at God’s sense of humor.  What is more even more amazing about the dancing avocado is that it only showed up for two nights.  It normally takes me about 48 hours after a session to fully process and feel normal again.

Y’all here God was, during Snapchat, showing up big for me.  He sent me a dancing avocado.  He sent me a dancing avocado for the exact amount of nights I needed.  The dancing avocado reminded me that He is always in control.  And even on the hardest days or the most difficult of seasons, He will never leave me or forsake me.