Thursday, September 6, 2018

A Letter to My Best Fur Friend


Dearest Teddy –

I miss you every.single.day.  Some days I think I’m doing well and then some days the grief catches me off guard and takes me down.  Today was one of those days. 

We took down the doggie door today.  Looking at it every day was hard.  I missed seeing you run out when Lewis and I would open the big door and you would wait for us to chase you.  I missed seeing you stick just your face inside and when you saw me, you would wait for the big door to open instead of going through the doggie door.  I missed hearing Lewis say “Teddy quit barking and get in this house right now” just like I would say while he stuck his little head out your door.  I missed hearing the flap close knowing you were on your way out or in. 

And now the door is gone, and it is the hard reminder that you are too.  I sit on the rug by the door and I sob.  I let myself sit in that pain for a minute but just for a minute.  I have a job to work, calls to make and my family to soon be present for so I know I cannot stay in this sadness.  As memories of you flood my mind, I turn my focus to gratitude.  You taught me so much.  I chuckle that some folks may think I’m a little crazy saying I learned anything from a dog.  But it is true.  You, my friend, were a great teacher – just a super hairy one. 

Thank you, Teddy, for reminding me to appreciate the little things in life.  The little things you loved like a squirrel crossing the road, a golf cart ride, a treat at the end of the day or the windows down in the car.  Those were enough to make your entire day the best.  I often get caught up in planning the next big event or celebration or trip when really, I should soak up the joys of the little things.  I will do better and take in the little things like my child’s giggle, the beautiful mountain views near our home, a hug from my husband, or unexpected lunch date with a friend.  Our lives are a accumulation of all the little things really anyway.

Thank you, Teddy, for reminding me the importance of affection.  I remember how you weren’t a very affectionate dog in the beginning.  You were playful but not the kind of dog to cuddle with at all.  I understood that your past of abuse kept you from giving into that need.  But the need was always there.  Over time, as you were shown affection by me as well as family and friends, you became more open to it and wanted it more and more.  The power of touch for you was healing.  As I believe it is for so many.  A hug.  Holding a hand.  Sharing a kiss on the cheek.  Patting someone’s back.  All acts of affection that can soften a soul.  I am and will do this more for those in my circle Teddy. 

Thank you, Teddy, for reminding me to love BIG.  I would walk in the door from being gone five minutes or five hours and you were there ready to shower me with love.  All you had to hear was your name called and you would come running, smile on your face with a wagging tail eager to give.  And even though you weren’t shown love initially in life, you never withheld it from me.  You chose love regardless.  How often have I held back my love when someone disappointed me, hurt me or didn’t show me the love I felt I deserved?  You and God have it right.  Choose love always and love BIG. 

Thank you, Teddy, for reminding me that time is fleeting.  Seems odd to write that I am thankful for that, but I needed the wakeup call.  One minute you are playing at daycare, we are going on walks and running with Lewis and one week later you were given a terminal diagnosis.  Then just three weeks later you were in my arms as we said our final goodbyes.  I am thankful that we had that last month and at least I was prepared the end was near.  But that is often not the case in this life.  Now I tell my family every day I love them.  Your dad and I kiss every morning before we leave regardless of our mood.  I hug Lewis and tell him I love him at daycare drop off even on days when we are rushed.  I hug my parents every time I leave their house and end every goodbye with I love you.  My friends probably think I’ve turned into more of a sap than I ever was as I tell them I am thankful for them, proud of them and I love them.  Because we often aren’t given a warning when our time is up, I’m making sure my tribe knows how loved they are. 

In Genesis 1:24-28 it reads, “And God said, let the Earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds … and God saw it was good.”  You were good Teddy … a good dog, a good companion and a good teacher.  You are never far from my thoughts and forever in my heart.  Until we met again my good and faithful friend.  Until we meet again.